Sunday, February 13, 2011

EDM 613 MAC Week 2 Reading- The Art of Possibility

This week's reading was a little different than most of the other works used in my Full Sail program. This was not a text book per say or even a how to manual. This book was almost like a collection of thoughts, stories, and experiences from which the authors drew from (rafting, Picasso, photographs in an African Tribe) to illustrate their intentions...Rosamund and Ben Zander's book, for me and my line of work, could have almost been a door leading to the world of Autism. As I read through each chapter, i found myself thinking a lot about my students ....

In the first chapter, The First Practice, the authors basically ask- How do you see things? Most individuals have a perception or a predetermined point of reference in their heads.It's either this or that, nothing else. I hear teachers say all the time, " I can't re-invent the wheel". And when a student comes along that does not fit the middle of the road learning style or accepts a lesson for what it is, the teacher becomes angry or frustrated, blaming the learner for the problem. But what if a teacher could use each student they meet as a reference point? Possibilities would be endless the different ways to teach a lesson. As a teacher of students with Autism, my knowledge has been opened up and my teaching strengthened by the different ways my students learn. I am always amazed at the ways a child will interpret information and then apply that to their learning. Sometimes the ordinary and the mundane become incredible and sometimes the incredible becomes mundane. One of the students in my class sees the finite detail of things, the focus of his eye is uncanny. On the old penny, there is a teeny Abraham Lincoln in the Monument on the back. What if the way I taught the penny was to have the child always look for the Abe Lincoln, not that it was copper, or 1 cent, or any other basic description that defines "penny".

In chapter 2, Roz and Ben discuss the world of measurement. For children with autism, routine and identification and order of things provides security. For many people, this is a truth. There is a security in prediction. I thought it was interesting that examples given for integration in the world were experiences on an emotional level. For my students, pleasure is derived form sensory input- the feel of a swing, spinning, certain surfaces, pressure, and visual/auditory stimulation. I measure student's behavior based on observational data. This book is more intrinsic than what my teaching experience has shown. As for that matter, many adults are still motivated by extrinsic rewards as well. So this is probably the hardest part of The Art of Possibility.

Chapter 3, The Third Practice. Now this is where it gets interesting and connects the reader on a more personal level. Being an A student is a "possibility". This makes the assumption that everyone is the best at what they do. I reveled in the story about the Taiwanese student. I recently read and article, both on NPR and in Time or Newsweek (I get both so I am not sure) about Asian parents and what they expect from their children. The article went on and on about the strict educational practices, drill and skill methods and the education system that promotes hard work and discipline. The standard is A. Anything less then that is shameful for the family. I was thinking about students in my class. Many parents of children with disabilities want to keep them in a child like state forever. Responsibilities or maturing is not expected because they are special. I argue at meetings that this student in 1st grade, at 8 years old, will be an adult in 10 years ( 10 years goes quickly!!!). One of the things I do as a teacher is treat my special needs students like students. I expect the same level of learning as anyone else just in a different way. I measure success with what they can do...raise the bar and the students will increase abilities.

Finally, in Chapter 4, being a contributor is enveloped. But do not confuse this with success. My students contribute to my ability to be a better teacher. I contribute my knowledge and experience with other teachers. Each child in my class contributes to our classroom in different ways- laughter to lighten up the mood, working independently so I can help another child, or even
showing me where I put something that I forgot where I put it. Something is always better than nothing. Everything counts.

I noticed a sub title in this chapter- Ripples in a Pond. This was the name of a Diigo group site used by a Full Sail teacher. Rena Hanaway . I wonder if she read this book and saw a connection ...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful connection you've made between the reading and your experiences working with Autistic or special-needs students. It is so important to be able to change one perspective when the "model" of what we've been doing doesn't work. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete