Sunday, February 6, 2011

EDM 613 MAC Week 1 Reading Copyright Issues 1-3


I saw the Eyes on THe Prize series when I went to college in 1989. ( VHS tapes). How sad that I cannot give that legacy to my children!!! Fair Use and the greater good is a very gray area where one can argue all they want for the sake of education or preserving history.
It all comes down to money…..
And sometimes as my mother would say- instead of the owner/publisher/ artist just doing what is right- they would rather cut off their nose to spite their face!
I think media usage as well as fair/common use is also a question of ethics… not just what is right or wrong but how does it affect the big picture….
I just try to use my own stuff, as Andrea said. It is easier and less stressful that way.
And for Shephard Fairey- the AP got “free” press. That picture was more circulated and recognized after the artist got a hold of it….

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comments on the reading. It is sad that copyright holders fail to understand that making it available inexpensively is so much better than keeping things either out of print or asking way too much money. In an era of digital media the marketing/distro models need to change.

    ReplyDelete