Thursday, February 24, 2011

EDM 613 MAC Week 4 Response to Peers @ Brooke

Brooke said...
My favorite passage from this weeks reading was in the first chapter. The story of the boy talking about his father going to meet with a man in person rather than talking to him over the phone. I think it was profound to me because I very much agree with the quote, “Certain things in life are better done in person”. I still personally believe there is something powerful that happens when you have that personal interaction with someone. So much can be said through nonverbal communication. Enthusiasm and showing true interest in what you are discussing, sharing makes a big difference when getting your students engaged and intrigued about a topic. When they can hear and see your excitement often they what to know more of what it’s all about. My students tease me now about how excited I get over paper samples...

In the chapter “Being the Board” I agree with the perspective of not playing the blame game because it tends to just put everyone on the defensive. However, I found my calculated self not fully agreeing with my central self when it comes to more drastic circumstances and situations and being the board. Perhaps yes being a victim of circumstance in a car accident you can accept the situation and move forward from it but I still found myself thinking what are the repercussions for this irresponsible person? Not to benefit me but to make sure they don’t make this same choice again... I’m thinking everyone should just read this book with an open mind...

To be cont.... I still have one more chapter to read...



Elizabeth Lundstrum said

Brooke, I agree, looking someone in the eye, having gestures, and the physical presence that is so important. Although I love media like Facebook, skype, and texting- there is something special about sharing a funny story with my best friend in person, seeing the look of surprise in her eyes or grabbing her by the arm when I am trying to make a point.

Move on I say. It is important to nip that NIP the blaming in the bud. Whatever happened happened, it is in the past- it will not change.

Love the puppy pictures!!! My dogs have been very supportive of my time at Full Sail....

No comments:

Post a Comment