Sunday, February 27, 2011

EDM 613 MAC Week 4 Reading "Art Of Possibility" Chapters 9-12

As I was reading the last of the book, I was intrigued by chapter 9's message. Better to do things in person. The author conveyed that this was not out of social reasons but much much more. By enrolling individuals into joining the venture through passion igniting passion, it appeared that No's become Yes more often. It was interesting to read how manipulation, cajoling, bribery, threats, or promises were not the basis of enrolling others into the action desired. Wouldn't it be so wonderful if more people could read this book and do what is right, not what is easy ( politicians perhaps?).

Chapter 10 quickly reminded me of a poem that I have always remembered from high school- Invictus ( movie of same name)


INVICTUS
by William Ernest Henley

OUt of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Chapter 10, for me, is about being Active, the maker of my own course. Don't be the victim.

The framework for possibility is mentioned in chapter 11. My favorite part is about the teacher who also shaves their head to show support for the child. What a beautiful selfless act. This teacher became a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. The vision of possibility as well as action started with the act of doing, not watching.

At the end of the book, Chapter 12 was about the WE factor. So many times, people in our lives want to use the blame sentence - YOU did this, He made me, THey were....As an educator, I hear frequently- but teacher- he made me talk. Parents say to me- but teacher, you don't give me kid enough attention.
I loved how We becomes a part of the conversation. Own the problem. Let's fix it together. What do WE both want out of this - the satisfaction of everyone'e needs becomes a priority instead of a one sided emotional crisis.

Most of all- The Art of Possibility puts everything on the table. There is not subliminal messages or closely guarded secrets priviaged to only a few. This book opens living and life up to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful poem, so powerful and deep, especially when one considers the depth and decades of suffering that end in such wonderful defiance. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete